“Cambados” is widely known as the “Albariño Wine Capital”, due to the wineries and the wine production that is taking place in this territory. The architectural complex named “Praça de Fefiñáns” is one of the most beautiful in Galicia. Constituted by the “Pazo de Fefiñáns”, the arch-bridge, the “Torre del Homenaje” (watchtower dated 16th century) and the “Church of San Benito”. Formerly known as the “Market Place”. “Cambados” was declared as a Place of Cultural Interest in 2012.
We leave from the PO-550 road (Avenida de Vilariño) and walk arround the old “Convent of San Francisco”. The Gothic Sailor style Temple, that presents some Renaissance features, replaced the old parish church of “Santa Mariña”. We turn left towards “Pazo de Ulloa”, known as “La Casa de los Pazos”, which underwent several renovations by the different owners, such as “Casa de Alba” or the “Marqués de Riestra”. Its coat of arms is oddly tilted with respect to the facade. We turn around “Pastora Avenue” and, from “Praza de Alfredo Brañas” square, we turn left along “Rúa Nova”, where Casa Fariña is located; the house belonged to an ancient solicitor and still has the original coat of arms of the founders: the “Figueroa”, “Valladares” and “Sotomayor”.
We walk arround “Capela do Hospital”, we pass the “Mercado de Abastos” on the “Avenida de Galicia”, then we turn through the streets “Muelle”, “Curros” and “Caracol” towards “Praza Ramón Cabanillas” square, known for the bronze statue made by the famous sculptor Francisco Leiro and devoted to the wine god Bacchus. We continue along the “Paseo da Calzada”, dated from 1852. At the beginning of this promenade we find the Town Hall where Ramón Cabanillas was immortalized; at the end, we find the the bronze sculpture of the sculptor Francisco Asorey and the state hotel “Parador Nacional de Turismo del Albariño (formerly “Pazo de Bazán”). We access to the “Praza das Rodas” through “Príncipe” road, formerly “praza diaria” where fresh products were sold, such as fish and vegetables and it have become now a “tapas” place where you can taste “Albariño” wine accompanied with excellent local food products. And then we arrive at “Pazo de Fefiñáns”, whose construction began during the XVI century by the mandate of Juan Sarmiento and Valladares, Lord of Fefiñáns (Councilor of King Felipe II) and was transferred by matrimonial bonds to the Counts of Figueroa. Remarkably influenced by the Italian Renaissance architecture, it has a large crenellated tower and a Baroque arch-bridge, which is the only one remaining from the four that existed in the square. In 1843, it was decided to throw those arches because they were said to interrupt the passage of the weekly market held there. In the ground floor of the “Pazo” there are two cellars of Albariño wine. At one extreme of “Praza de Fefiñáns” we can contemplate the Church of San Benito, an old Romanesque temple remodelled at the beginning of the XV century and again rebuilt in the XVII century. Although its interior is Gothic, the church has two Baroque style bell towers. Inside the church, there are two warriors holding granite maces and shields known as the “Balboas”, they escort the burials of their masters and symbolically protect the square and the church.