Our route begins in Casas Reais Street, which receives this name because it was urbanized with houses that were royal property and were occupied by the governor, the “Audiencia” and other control bodies imposed by the Catholic Monarchs. As we move forward, we will pass near “Pazo de Fondevila”, a Baroque palace from the mid-seventeenth Century with a decoration that is centred on the corner of the building’s chamfer where you can see, under a circular pediment, an ostentatious shield. Next, Las Ánimas Church comes out with its neoclassical simplicity, from the XVIII century. This church was built with the alms offered by the devotees of the souls of the purgatory, which are shown burning in the eternal fire of the bas-relief of the cover. About 50 meters away is “Praza de Cervantes”, square known in the XII century as “El Foro”, for being a popular meeting point and also the place where the town crier read the municipal agreements and the ordinances of the archbishop. For its informative vocation, one of the streets, of important commercial activity, is called “O Preguntoiro”. It is located in the corner with the building erected in 1682 for the old Town Hall, which occupied the site for 200 years, from 1583 until it was transfer in 1787 to “Pazo de Raxoi”.
Nowadays, it is the only Baroque municipal building that remains intact in all Galicia. An interior restoration has made it possible to rediscover the old scribes, oratory, archive and the dungeons: it is known that, at the time of the Spanish Inquisition, public “auto-da-fé” rituals were held in this square, in fact until the year 1570 the scroll or column around to which justice was given and the scaffold were also located in this square. Later, after specializing in the sale of food and merchandise, the space acquired the name of “Praza do Campo” and became the main market in the city. This fact also explains the name of the church San Benito do Campo, whose current neoclassical lines suggest that the foundation dates back to the X century. At the end of the XIX century, when the market was moved to Praza de Abastos Square, it acquired the definitive name of “Praza de Cervantes”.
We set our course towards San Bieito Street, but first we must take a look at the Neoclassical style church (XVIII century) that bears this name which, despite its sobriety and purity of lines and within its small size, retains a certain monumental aspect accentuated by its isolation in the square. It has a single central tower and a single nave with side chapels. Inside, the beautiful Baroque carvings of San Antonio, San José and San Juan Bautista (St. Anthony, St. Joseph & St. John Baptist) stands out.
Finally, we walk along San Bieito Street and take the second street on the left, called Curro da Parra Street, where we will find the restaurant that bears this name.